Saturday 12 January 2008

Seven from '07


As often happens at the end of the year, I found myself thinking back to the music that I have been listening to. This year, for the first time in a while, I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of decent songs I have come across.

And so, after much internal discussion, I have come up with the following countdown - my favourite seven songs from 2007.

Obviously, this will just be my opinion* , and I have used the following criteria:
  • The song needs to have been released as a single in 2007
  • Erm, that's it!
Some of the songs that didn't make it include (in alphabetical order):
  • Arctic Monkeys: Brianstorm (fast and punchy - yeah!)
  • Ash: You can’t have it all (great single from a great singles band)
  • Hard Fi: Suburban Knights ("woah-oh-oohhh!")
  • The Holloways: Generator (a feelgood song if ever there was one)
  • Jamie T: Sheila (another great song about drunken Britain)
  • Kaiser Chiefs: Ruby (the tenth best selling single of 2007!)
  • Mika: Grace Kelly (the novelty has worn off a bit, but still a good song)
  • Regina Spektor: Fidelity (great voice, simple meoldy, ruined by rubbish middle 8)
  • Robyn: With every heartbeat (not as good as everyone says, but still decent)
  • Timbaland: The way I are (has been adopted by MOTD2 - 'nuff said)
  • The View: Same jeans (catchy and punchy, but overplayed)
* It doesn't take a genius to work out that I generally like things with guitars - in that respect, it has been a good year! Also, opinions are not static - I may feel differently in a few weeks, or even days!

No comments: